Thursday, July 29, 2021

Bridle Ranch Builds People

Today’s topic is a heavy one.  It goes deep.

I have a confession to make.  And really, confession is probably the wrong word.  It implies that I’ve done something wrong.  Recently, I have come to realize that this thing that feels so wrong in my life is not actually my fault.

You see, I fight with depression.  Fighting with it sounds so much more hopeful than suffering from it, right?  And I try.  Oh, I try, so hard, to fight against the weight of it.  Sometimes, I succeed.  


Other times, it is almost impossible to make myself do the things that are required of me to keep my family moving forward.  Usually, I can manage to do the very basics.  I can’t imagine how impossibly hard it would be to function in this world with a case of depression any worse than mine is.  There are people who do, though, and their strength is absolutely astounding.


When I was 21 years old, I got a job working at a Residential Treatment Center.  I had the amazing privilege of teaching troubled youth to ride horses.  The things I learned there shaped my adult life, and eventually became the basis for Bridle Ranch.


You may have noticed that at Bridle Ranch, we do things a little differently from most barns.  We don’t do any competitions.  We don’t have forced timelines for learning. We don’t hire outside trainers.  We focus on building confidence, having fun, and working through problems.  We provide experience with many different disciplines with horses, which helps students to learn a broad base of horsemanship.  We emphasize relationships, patience, assertiveness, and calmness.



Through my growing understanding of depression, I have come to realize how many people are suffering from things that are often unseen.  I have also come to believe that everybody needs more love.  More goodness.  More innocence.  More inner strength.  More simplicity and joy.


At Bridle Ranch, my goal has always been to build people.  Yes, we teach horseback riding.  But underneath the skills and progression are principles of compassion and unity that, hopefully, help our riders to feel safe and loved.  



When people feel safe and loved, they can experiment and grow.  When people grow, they change their lives for the better.  When they are ready, they go out and make positive changes in the world around them.  


That is the reason we ride.  That inner strength and peace we gain from playing with horses translates to better, happier, stronger, more confident people.  


That is why I started Bridle Ranch.  That vision of helping people has been my driving force even when my own struggles have begged me to stop.  That is why I am so grateful every time I see people out there, riding the horses, learning the lessons, finding success, and feeling joy.  


Smile and Ride, friends.  Smile and Ride.


-CR





No comments:

Post a Comment

Get to Know Gemma!