Thursday, December 9, 2021

Favorite Breed?

Hello Centaur Friends!

Which horse breed is your favorite?

I get asked, sometimes, which is my favorite breed.  

Is difficult.

There are so many fantastic breeds!  For instance, have you ever seen one of these beauties?



These horses are called Gypsy Vanners, and they are amazing.  So, so pretty.  They used to be used to pull the carts for Gypsies.  They’re typically a little taller than ponies, and stocky.  Seriously.  They’re built like draft horses, minus the height.


I had the fortune of working with a Gypsy Cob, which is a close cousin of the Vanner.  This little guy was a 4-year-old therapy horse, which gives you an idea of their temperament.  They are calm, steady, sweet little workhorses.  And gorgeous to boot.


They have two big problems:  The first is their cost.  A typical Gypsy vanner goes between $10,000 and $40,000.   Sadly, that is probably more than I will ever justify paying for a horse.  Well, maybe not.  :)


The second issue is their feathers.  Guys.  I am such a sucker for that long hair around the big breeds’ legs.  I just love it.  Trouble is, it requires a lot of care.  If it’s not cared for right, it can cause some real problems, including infection.  I want a horse with feathers so badly.  And, I am so afraid that I won’t be able to care for them well enough and my horse will get sick and then I will have hurt this sweet animal and learned a $10,000-$40,000 lesson.  I’m pretty sure that was more than my entire college education...



Of course, then there is the Thoroughbred, which holds a special place in my heart.



Thoroughbreds are the epitome of the sport horse.  They are typically known as racehorses, but they also excel at jumping and dressage.  I’ve ridden a few of these guys, and there is a power and grace to their movements that is incomparable.  Their strides are long, their paces smooth.  Often, they are very sensitive, which is a glorious thing for an experienced rider.  They are also very intelligent, which makes them fun to train.


The biggest downside to the Thoroughbred, in my opinion, is how heavily they are influenced by Arabians, which tend to be a little flighty. (Read, spooky.)  That flightiness means that every plastic bag, every tarp, every puff of wind, portends death in the mind of the horse, and they tend to freak out and run.  It’s a pain in the little Arabian.  When it manifests in a Thoroughbred, which often has 2-3 hands on an Arabian and an extra 500 pounds, it becomes something else entirely.  Now, don’t get me wrong; Thoroughbreds don’t always have this tendency to a dangerous degree.  It’s just… some of them do, and most of them have it to a degree that is noticeable and adds an element of uncertainty to all interactions that I, personally, don’t totally love.



And then, there’s the Quarter horse.  I love these guys!!!






They say the west was won on the back of a horse, and I’m pretty sure it was mostly Quarter horses.  They are usually around 15 hands, and good, steady little workhorses.  They’re generally easy keepers, with a calm temperament.  Much like the Gypsy Vanner, but without the feathers.  Plus, they are supposedly the fastest land animal over the quarter mile (hence their name,) which helps with many jobs that need doing.  


I don’t really have any complaints about Quarter horses.  As a breed, they are just about everything a person needs in a horse.  But, if I’m being honest, I find them a little uninspiring.  I know, I know!  They are beautiful, and majestic, and wonderful simply by sheer fact of them being horses!  I just… prefer something a little more fanciful, I guess.  



Which leads me to my favorite breed.  


Drumroll, please!


My favorite horse breed is…  (any guesses?)


I’ll give you a hint.  


Or a picture…  :)




There she is!  My favorite breed is a Friesian!  Look at that mane and tail!  And the gorgeous black coat!  Those have maybe been slightly enhanced in this picture, but only slightly.  The long mane and thick tail are characteristic of the breed.  So is the jet-black coat.  And the feathers!  Did you see?  They’re just enough to give a hint of that gorgeous long hair, but not enough to be intimidating to care for.  


Also, I love the soft look in this horse’s eye.  That is also typical of the breed.  They are gentle, for all they’re so large.  (Generally 16+ hands, and only slightly less stocky than a draft horse.)  Per my understanding, Friesians are generally used for showy situations, like parades and such.  Personally, I don’t really care.  I would absolutely LOVE to have a Friesian.  I got to ride one for a glorious summer, and it was truly fantastic.  She was sensitive, and kept looking for me to lead her through our exercises.  She had a big motion, but it was smooth.  As a big girl myself, I appreciated that I really knew I was not going to be able to hurt this horse, and I had a very secure seat on her back.  


Oh, my centaur friends, if I could burn through $20,000 on a horse, this would be the one.  I just looked it up, though, and if I opt for a yearling without any special pedigree, it might only cost me $7000.  


Donations, anyone?  :):):)


Smile and Dream, Centaur friends!


-CR


No comments:

Post a Comment

Get to Know Gemma!